Am I an Arnette????

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
akbreezo

Am I an Arnette????

Postby akbreezo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:03 am

I have to admit that whenever I read the swim type descriptions I always sort of skipped past that Arnie/Arnette swim type because I just didn't think it was me. But I took the swim types test and it came out strongly Arnie!
This video shows that I seem to have a very wide stroke...I think I've become overly paranoid about crossing over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWglWn0Zi-s

SolarEnergy

Re: Am I an Arnette????

Postby SolarEnergy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:13 pm

akbreezo wrote:I have to admit that whenever I read the swim type descriptions I always sort of skipped past that Arnie/Arnette swim type because I just didn't think it was me.
And why would you think it couldn't be you?
SolarEnergy
Charles G. Couturier, Canadian Swimming / Triathlon Coach

akbreezo

Postby akbreezo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:19 pm

SolarEnergy wrote:
akbreezo wrote:I have to admit that whenever I read the swim type descriptions I always sort of skipped past that Arnie/Arnette swim type because I just didn't think it was me.
And why would you think it couldn't be you?

:lol: :lol:
Good question that I don't really have a good answer to. I guess I just never thought I fit the description, but I will say that I never felt like I fit any of the swim types very well!
I don't feel like I "fight the water" or feel "breathless" which are two of the main Arnie descriptors. I also don't seem to crossover. But, I could be WRONG!

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi akbreezo,

You're definitely not a classic Arnette - your stroke looks too nice as you say.

Have you had quite a bit of coaching? Or worked on developing your stroke yourself? In many of those cases you get to be a bit of a cross-breed between types although most people start out as a Bambino or Arnie/ette to begin with. If I had to place you, I'd say a very mild overglider.

The questionnaire will be suggesting Arnette purely because of your speed and strokes per length, the analysis behind the results is not perfect (blame me, I wrote it!!) and it does get it wrong for maybe 5 or 10% of swimmers. What sort of speed do you swim at? And how tall are you? Have you ever done the ape-index measurement? : http://www.swimsmooth.com/ape-index-swimming.html

It's difficult to get a clear picture of your body position in the water but I think it could be a little low. This frame from right at the end of your video is an interesting one:

Image Image

See how you're bending the knee quite a bit to kick? Also, see how the hand is actually pushing upwards at the back of the stroke? That's difficult to get an appreciation of from a still but watching the clip my feeling is you're doing that with enough force to sink the legs downwards. Focus on pressing the water backwards the whole time and just at the end of the stroke turn the hand in subtly to face the thigh:

OK, another thing to work on is that left hand arm, it has a tendency to pull through a little straight, especially when breathing. Focusing on bending the elbow during the catch and pressing the water backwards when breathing will give you more propulsion:

Image Image

Once you feel like you're on top of those thing then it's going to be about developing your catch and getting a bit more rhythm into things. Let me know on my questions about for a bit more direction on that.

Cheers,

Adam

akbreezo

Postby akbreezo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:49 pm

Wow Adam. Thank you so much for this analysis. It's helpful in so many ways. I KNEW I wasn't an Arnette. ;)
I've always felt that I had a decent stroke, but definitely lacked power and/or speed. I've had a few coaching sessions, but am mostly just really geeky about reading and trying things out.
I did my CSS test just yesterday with the following results: 400 yards - 7:07, 200 yards - 3:30. I tend to take 21 strokes early and 23 to 24 as I fatigue. My height and arm span are just about equal; I am on the shorter side at 5'4.5" (164 cm).
I just finished reading the book and purchased the coaching pack for swim types (entering the world of triathlon coaching myself). Also, the catch DVD is on the way. So I have the resources, but would ask if there a particular progression of drills that you would recommend for the issues you highlighted? And then, of course, focusing on improving my catch.
Thank you again,
Bree

Return to “Swim Types!”