swim type?

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
Alias

swim type?

Postby Alias » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:12 am

In kick sets I am faster than most others in the squad I practise with. Yet I am faster and more comfortable with a pull buouy. What do you make from that? The questionnaire gives swinger, kicktastic or Arnie.

gavinp

Re: swim type?

Postby gavinp » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:22 am

What are you like swimming without a pullbuoy?
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi Alias,

What sort of speed are you swimming at? Swimming background? Gender?

Adam

Alias

Postby Alias » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:53 am

gavinp: I don't have any clip showing my "style". If I'm not an Arnie, I have some Arnie tendencies. Lifting the head. Lop-sided. When tired, I shorten the stroke. Swimming longer distances like 400 m or 1 km is no problem but swim speed is reduced. That is already from early splits. Using zoomers or pull buoy makes the longer distances feel more right,

Adam: Male, 42 in a few days. Learned crawl a few years ago. I can do 100 m in 1:30 or so, but regular speed in sessions is maybe 1:50. Did a CSS test in November. Had 7:34 and 3:22.

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:29 am

Thanks for the info.

It sounds like the feeling of being 'just right' when using a pullbuoy comes from the buoyancy and lifting your back end into a more horizontal and streamline position. So you can guarantee that your legs are causing a dragging effect when you don't use a pullbuoy, and over a longer distance of course you will feel more fatigue in this position without a pullbuoy as you are working harder against the dragging effect of lower legs.

It's good to use a pullbuoy for drills, but don't kid yourself into thinking that using one all the time will help you. Sorry.

A good starting place is here:

http://www.swimsmooth.com/swimming-balance.html

Have a read through and when you next swim think about each of the elements. Do any of these relate to you? You'll see straight away - lifting your head, is a typical cuplrit for the legs dropping in the water.

In terms of swim type, you sound like an Arnie to me... over to you Adam as you may have a diffent idea! :P

Alias

Postby Alias » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:30 am

We use pull buoy and paddles quite often in the squad sessions. Seldom do pull buoy alone. I did a session on my own with a section where I did 10x100 alternating without and with pull buoy. No paddles. That's when I really noticed the difference. Unfortunately I don't have the lap times.

From the sinking legs list, I'm working on core control and not pushing down. I'm not really sure on how well I manage. I don't think I do the other three (holding breath, kicking from knee and looking too far ahead).

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:23 am

Alias wrote:We use pull buoy and paddles quite often in the squad sessions. Seldom do pull buoy alone. I did a session on my own with a section where I did 10x100 alternating without and with pull buoy. No paddles. That's when I really noticed the difference. Unfortunately I don't have the lap times.

From the sinking legs list, I'm working on core control and not pushing down. I'm not really sure on how well I manage. I don't think I do the other three (holding breath, kicking from knee and looking too far ahead).

Don't worry about lap times for now - concentrate on your technique. Ideally, you need to get someone to look at your stroke to see what's really happening. If you can, get some video footage and post here.

Alias

Postby Alias » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:05 pm

Swim speed seems to be a part of understanding which swim type you belong to. Although I might be an Arnie my time on 100 m seems to indicate otherwise. Unrefined swinger perhaps? The way to correct unrefined swingers and Arnies might be similar. I don't know. Just thought it would be good to find which group I belong to.

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:57 pm

Alias wrote:Swim speed seems to be a part of understanding which swim type you belong to. Although I might be an Arnie my time on 100 m seems to indicate otherwise. Unrefined swinger perhaps? The way to correct unrefined swingers and Arnies might be similar. I don't know. Just thought it would be good to find which group I belong to.

Yes it is, and you've already done your test to see what swim type you are with mixed results. I have already suggested that you are an Arnie. So now i'm suggesting to forget about timing yourself for a while (or thinking about splits etc) and just concentrate on getting someone to look at your stroke and practice technique / stroke correction based on what they see.

:D

Alias

Postby Alias » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:46 pm

I'll do that. Thanks for the input.

Alias

Postby Alias » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:14 am

Ha! Had a great swim yesterday. Tried to change the stroke timing a bit to achieve front quadrant style. Felt great! It was easy to find the bow wave so no need to lift the head to breathe. Will definately work more on this.

I may fight a bit in the water (Arnie), drop the leap arm (Bambino), have a strong kick (Kicktastic) and read much on swimming (Overglider)! :D

Return to “Swim Types!”