Karlyn Pipes: A swinging overglider?

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
smootharnie

Karlyn Pipes: A swinging overglider?

Postby smootharnie » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:49 am

GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

Don Wright

Re: Karlyn Pipes: A swinging overglider?

Postby Don Wright » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:16 am

Hi "smootharnie"!

Am envious of Karlyn's nice undulatory flutter kick - saw that clip over a year ago and still haven't managed to emulate the action, still struggling between that and the SS "straight legs" recomended style. You can see she does a nice fly action as well, and the undulatory action of that has probably carried over to her freestyle flutter kick. A little bit of knee bend on the kick downbeat does help give a more "wavy" leg action.

The long "stretch" of the really straight arm after entry, held in glide position for what appears an awful long time is reminiscent of the "catch-up" drill - think that in itself helps give smoother movement through the water.

Towards the end of the clip, liked the relaxed over-water arm recovery - almost a "straight-arm" one. I reckon the more of the arm's mass that is further away from the shoulder (i.e.the centre of rotation) during a smartly done recovery - the greater the angular momentum, some of which augments linear forward momentum. Guess that, plus the more obvious reason of avoiding wetsuit chafing at the elbow, is why we don't see many OW swimmers with a wetsuit, doing the fancy peaked elbow arm recovery that Mr Smooth uses. The only snag with the straight arm recovery, is the bit that precedes it - really need to release and exit the water (from the arm upsweep to the surface) with a slightly bent elbow, otherwise we risk pulling down the hips by pushing a straight arm up against the water surface.

Anyway Karlyn is, so I believe, a highly skilled OW swimmer - I would certainly like to be able to move like that (perhaps I could with the right music - in my dreams! :lol: )

Bye / Don
Last edited by Don Wright on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

cottmiler

Postby cottmiler » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:36 am

It's certainly a Chrismas Day delight to watch Karin swimming

I noted the wide arm entry when viewed from underneath, the early elbow bend, and the change of angle of the wrist to push the water back.

The problem with a lot of these elite videos is that they are demonstrating fancy techniques in slow motion. I wonder what they do when they swim at a speed 2 or 3 times what some of us do.
cottmiler is also on swim.palstani.com

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:00 pm

the underwater stroke looked quote TI like fore me , especially the last half after 3 minutes. But she is a very energetic and cheerfull swinger personality.
The upbeat music fits her well.
Whatever she does above water, underwater looks good.NIce balance , streamline , catch and kick. Just a bit long glide phase for a swinger.
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

SolarEnergy

Postby SolarEnergy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:24 pm

cottmiler wrote:The problem with a lot of these elite videos is that they are demonstrating fancy techniques in slow motion. I wonder what they do when they swim at a speed 2 or 3 times what some of us do.
Swimmers usually display a lot of flexibility in their stroke. They can glide endlessly in certain sets, or tighten up the stroke to perform much faster when appropriate. That idea is inline with the title of this discussion. This woman is the top freestyle female master swimmer of all time, performing at the 50 and at the 5k, in the pool or in open water.

That, I call this stroke flexibility. Could be defined in part according to your comfort zone width in term of workable stroke rates (or so I guess). Jono displays a great level of flexibility in his stroke on this Smootest swimmer clip, which is normal as he probably sprints a flat out 100m at 100rpm or more, and probably can cruise a base endurance set at 50.
SolarEnergy
Charles G. Couturier, Canadian Swimming / Triathlon Coach

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:03 am

She's swimming very slowly (for her) in that clip. The stroke timing is quite TI, but with a smooth 6 beat kick. I bet there's a lot less glide when she's racing!
Why not join your SwimSmooth Forum friends at swim.palstani.com

SolarEnergy

Postby SolarEnergy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:55 pm

I gave this clip another look Mike. You know what's interesting? Look closely and you'll notice 2 things:

1. Clearly: fingers are never higher than the wrist, which is never higher than the elbow, etc etc... So arm posture is fine (limit, but fine)
2. I may surprise you, but I can see both hands moving downward very slightly to set up for catch. It's apparent with left hand since she breathes right, but even the right hand doesn't display that much passive gliding.

Therefore I don't think she's overgliding on that take.
SolarEnergy
Charles G. Couturier, Canadian Swimming / Triathlon Coach

cottmiler

Postby cottmiler » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:16 am

As Don hinted earlier, it's substantially "catch-up".

It may feel relaxing to swim that way, but no good for open water or speed.
cottmiler is also on swim.palstani.com

Return to “Swim Types!”