Help! determining swim type

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
1q2w3e4r

Help! determining swim type

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:48 am

Hi Swim smooth experts!

I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction in determining the swim type of a mate of mine.

The background is he is a cyclist like myself and is very interested in doing triathlon. He's been talking about it for at least a year now and still hasn't done one, the problem isn't the riding or running but the swimming. He has been swimming frequently on his own on and off for months on end, sometimes a few times per week and other times not at all. When he has swum its generally with another friend of his, however from talking with him he is not making much progress. He has only come swimming with me perhaps 3 times in 12 months despite offering to go whenever/wherever is suitable to him. It's frustrating him by his own admission because he can bike and run very well.

To make things easier, I managed to grab a video of his swim earlier this year. His stroke and body position is still the same. I'm trying to work out what type he is, I'm learning toward a bambino/Arnie. He states that he feels like he's going to drown everytime he swims and that's his main concern with doing a triathlon (even in a lake/regatta centre and a short 400m swim). I'd appreciate any insight anyone could provide so I can get him a swim smooth guide and hopefully get him on his way!

Some general background on him

- He is very analytical and data driven; so will pull down data from his power meter from bike rides and analyse the files. The same applies to his running.
- He works/analyses technique on the bike and when running alot. More than is necessary to be honest, and even by his own admission.
- He won't do something if he isn't good at it, or will meet his expectation. Hence hasn't done the triathlon he wants to do yet.

Video is here if anyone can have a quick look and point me in the best direction I'd appreciate it and know he will when he eventually gets on the start line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-cxboEi ... cg&index=3

- Ben

1q2w3e4r

Re: Help! determining swim type

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:52 am

kittttens wrote:Definitely not an arnie or any beginner stroke. You can see that this guy actually knows swimming and messing with us. As a result, I strongly agree with the Youtube comments!

You're completely wrong, he doesn't know swimming and has just started. I think the furthest he's swum is about 300m without stopping.

What backs up your assumption from the video that it isn't an Arnie or any beginner stroke and that he knows swimming?

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:15 pm

1q2w3e4r wrote:
kittttens wrote:Definitely not an arnie or any beginner stroke. You can see that this guy actually knows swimming and messing with us. As a result, I strongly agree with the Youtube comments!

You're completely wrong, he doesn't know swimming and has just started. I think the furthest he's swum is about 300m without stopping.

What backs up your assumption from the video that it isn't an Arnie or any beginner stroke and that he knows swimming?

I wouldn't bother 1q2w3e4r. kittttens seems to be spreading negativity across the forum :?
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

Karlstine

Postby Karlstine » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:51 pm

1q2w3e4r,

You're mate is an arnie. If he will try to point his toes and work on flexibility he will do well.

Karl

Karlstine

Postby Karlstine » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Kittens
Would you show us some video of your stroke?

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Definitely an Arnie - a raw one too. Working on exhalation, the leg kick and stretching things out are going to be important for him.

Return to “Swim Types!”