Swim Type Help: Swinger/Overglider confusion.

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
drdking

Swim Type Help: Swinger/Overglider confusion.

Postby drdking » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:04 am

I have no idea what type of swimmer I really am.

My long distance maintainable speed right now is in the low 1:40s/100m, being able to push 1:30/100m for distances <100 yards.
My natural stroke rate stays in the mid to high 50spm.

Prior to getting into triathlon 3 years ago I never had any competitive swimming background but I've always been a strong confident swimmer. Swimming is my favorite discipline of a triathlon. I love getting into the pool whenever I can. However I'm very driven and meticulous in my workouts. I always need to have a planned workout in mind, and I feel terrible if for some reason I don't/can't complete it. I love gadgets and I log almost every swim I do with my garmin 910xt. I love looking at the data after a swim. I feel that I over analyze my stroke at times, not being able to stop thinking about technique and what I'm doing wrong while I'm in the water. I love watching other swimmers to compare/improve. That being said, when I swim long distances(>2000m), esp in the open water, I do tend to "zone out" and just swim, normally letting my mind wander.

I am horrible at kick sets, I feel like I'm going no where. My last workout I was averaging around 2:40/100m for my kicksets (with kick board).
I typically swim slightly slower with a pool bouy. About 3-5 sec/100m slower according to my last workout.

I breath primarily to my left side. I try to bilateral breath but I end up getting out of breath. Though I do blame this mostly to smoking for 6 years(4 years smoke free coming up in a month). For anything longer than 100m I can't maintain a every 3 stroke breathing pattern. The best I can do is trying to start a length breathing to one side and switching to the other about half way through. I am much more comfortable breathing to my left, but it is getting better since I started working on it last spring.

I've been suffering from off and on again shoulder pain for over a year. The original cause is from an unrelated skiing accident but swimming at times aggravates it. A friend noticed I had a very pronounced thumb first entry and I've been working hard on correcting that. My shoulder has been getting better recently.

So getting to the point(sorry for length): The questionnaire has me as a majority Swinger type, which I can agree with a bunch, except I feel my stroke rate is too slow to be a swinger. It has me as a minority Kicktastic, but my kick is weak, and I typically swim with a 2 beat kick, mentally trying to minimize kicking to save my legs for the other legs of tris.

That leaves me with Overglider. I would agree from the mental side of it, I fit, but my stroke rate isn't that slow, and I don't feel as if I have any dead spot in the front of my stroke, and I've been told I have a nice catch and pull.

I'm majorly confused. I want to get better/faster. My current goal is a sub 1 hour IM swim. My current best(2 years ago) is 1:13(IMLP with wetsuit) and I know I can do much better.

***Wanted to add that I am horrible with any stroke other than freestyle. I can do a manageable backstroke, but I can't breaststroke kick to save my life and last time I tried butterfly I nearly drowned(forgot that your head should be above water when you try to take a breath).

Paul Newsome

Re: Swim Type Help: Swinger/Overglider confusion.

Postby Paul Newsome » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:39 am

Hi drdking

Any chance you have some video footage (even if just from a phone above the water) so we can quickly diagnose for you?

Obviously the questionnaire (as mentioned on the site) can only give you a clue as to where you are at right now, the best diagnosis will always be through actual work with a coach...so let me see if I can help you.

It may well be that you're actually quite Smooth (despite not having much of a background and swimming 1:40s per 100m) and if this is the case, chances are you just need a bit of a tweak here and there.

Post some video or link to a YouTube file and let's take a look!

Cheers

Paul
2013 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim Champion. Don't forget to check out our valuable Know How section on the main site at http://www.swimsmooth.com/knowhow.html

drdking

Postby drdking » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:34 pm

Thank you for the reply.

This morning I took some video of me swimming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo1y8izNrmc
View from pool deck early in the workout.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edZFuXBvBbU
Head on view, middle of my workout.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_W4TRDAmh4
Views from bottom of pool, head on, and pool deck, late in workout.

Other than the last part of the final video they were all done at a medium pace, could maintain it for about an hour. The last shots of the last video were of my cool down at a pace I could have maintained indefinitely. If it matters it's a 25 meter pool 3.5-5ft deep.

Immediate things I notice is that first my kick is all over the place. I see some scissor kicking and a lack a rhythm. It doesn't feel that bad while I'm swimming.
Also although I could swear that I'm not entering thumb first it seems to be very pronounced. I also see me dropping my right wrist consistently and putting on the brakes. Then during my pull it looks like I whip my right arm back and inside. Once again, I don't notice either of these while I'm swimming.

I'm actually now more confused that I was before on my swim type.

Paul Newsome

Postby Paul Newsome » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:53 pm

Thanks drdking for posting that.

Ok, couple of points to work on with your stroke:

1) exhalation - you exhale very late rather than a smooth sigh under the water which may be making bilateral hard and also causing the legs to sink (a big limiter for you)

2) left arm pulls through very straight and wide - this is losing you propulsion and could also be adding to stress on the shoulders

You have generally good rhythm within the stroke. I clocked you at 61spm in the final clip.

You have a limited swimming background and based on what I can see here, three years ago you may well have been a bit more Arnie like. However, being as dedicated and conscientious as you clearly are, you have definitely Smoothed things out considerably to allow you to swim at 1:40s per 100m, so well done.

Work to correct the points above and also check your ability to pace yourself out well over longer intervals.

Hope this helps - nice progress!

Paul
2013 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim Champion. Don't forget to check out our valuable Know How section on the main site at http://www.swimsmooth.com/knowhow.html

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:56 pm

kittttens wrote:first off, are you really a competitive swimmer? Are you in a swim squad? If you are not, please stop acting one!

If you are at a swim squad, you are probably a Swinger. Hell no an over glider can survive swim squad training laps. Unless, you talking about a >.< one.!

What does this mean? :shock:
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

Return to “Swim Types!”