Masters Wannabe (Bambino)

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
annmead7

Masters Wannabe (Bambino)

Postby annmead7 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:11 pm

I'm a Technique Hermit Bambino, and for the last year have been enjoying my solitary, self-coached SwimSmooth exercises, vastly improving my form and posting slowly improving 500 times. I haven't been very consistent, so I'll see progress for a couple of weeks and then lose it. To address this, I think joining a Masters group would be good for me in terms of consistent schedule and peer support, although intimidation has kept me away so far because I'm slow (2:10/100yd) and have had no real training in the other strokes at all. (I can fake them but actually have no idea what I'm doing.) In parallel, I'm now making up a skeleton training plan for myself, based on your book. If I DO overcome my fears and join a masters group, what would a typical masters workout count as in your training scheme? I know a workout would be a mixed bag: not pure endurance, not pure speed.....If in terms of your training structure a masters swim replaces one day a week of *something* what would that something be? Endurance? Speed? Thanks! -Ann

SolarEnergy

Re: Masters Wannabe (Bambino)

Postby SolarEnergy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:55 pm

In which country do you live?
SolarEnergy
Charles G. Couturier, Canadian Swimming / Triathlon Coach

annmead7

Postby annmead7 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:44 am

I'm in the US; San Francisco.

SolarEnergy

Postby SolarEnergy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:34 pm

OK, good to know.

I would assume, but this is total hypothetical assumptions here...

US: Great Master Swimmers Market, so no problem here. If you had answer that you were in Zimbabwe, things would have been different. Even in the UK the Master Swimmers network don't seem to be nearly as well developed as it is in the US and in Canada.

Big clubs vs small clubs etc...

Long story short. Some Master programs, depending on a number of things, will be more or less newbie/bambino friendly. If I was in charge of a program myself, which is not the case, I would make sure we make room to people that don't know yet how to swim, again for a number of reasons. The most important probably being that at the Competitive level, ie when comes to competing, *every one* is more than welcome. There is no discrimination here.

Now let me use a few examples. Our Master program here in Montreal at the University where I coach. It's part of swimming classes. It's not even a club. The boss is the same person that manages the other swim classes (Beginners 1-2, Stroke 1-2, etc). This person doesn't at all understand the dynamics of a Club. So he imposes a certain standard, under which you can not join Master Swimmers group. Instead, you are asked to commit to the swim classes. Pool space is limited during all these classes. This makes the task of welcoming bambino and elite swimmers in the same group almost impossible. So I understand his position.

Another Master squad that's well known in Montreal is one that specializes in Gay/Lesbians clientele. Mind you, straight people are allowed to, and feel good, as long as they're not homophobic. They rent an entire pool. So they have 6 lanes. Besides, their mission is such that they refuse no one. They offer clinics within their normal activities which allow bambinos to catch up with the rest of the group etc....

There are several Clubs like this (maybe not addressing Gay clientele) but who rent a lot of pool space. Generally, clubs in big town may be less beginners friendly. Clubs in smaller towns have more room, more time (and often more fun), and they often accept everyone.

So as you can see, there are no simple answer to your question. Your best bet is to gather 2-3 phones numbers or emails of clubs close to where you live and see what their position is in regards to accepting someone that is not a sound swimmer yet.
SolarEnergy
Charles G. Couturier, Canadian Swimming / Triathlon Coach

Return to “Swim Types!”