Swinger Type

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
GregZ

Swinger Type

Postby GregZ » Wed May 02, 2012 7:39 pm

I did the online test and I'm about 78% swinger. I've been working on bilateral freestyle for just two sessions now from the swinger swim guide. Hip rotation to my non-breathing side is difficult and I quickly find myself out of breath even with using the good breathing technique in the Swimmer Type guide. The good news is when going back to unilateral breathing it now seem much more efficient. I'm been in a Master's swim class for a few years now. My question is how long should it take to feel comfortable enough with bilateral breathing to use this during the Masters swim class. Not looking to rush, or to get a definite answer, but would like to hear an oppinion.

Greg Z

SolarEnergy

Re: Swinger Type

Postby SolarEnergy » Thu May 03, 2012 4:36 pm

The time it takes to acquire a new ability depends on the level of focus you put to it.

Given a twice a week swim regiment, you should normally require no more than a month to become comfortable breathing on both sides, given that you:
1. Pick the appropriate drills for covering this aspect.
2. Perform significant volume at it.
SolarEnergy
Charles G. Couturier, Canadian Swimming / Triathlon Coach

CamdenCamden

Postby CamdenCamden » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:57 pm

The only important thing is that you breathe regularly to both sides.Bilateral breathing requires the swimmer to change breathing sides after each stroke cycle.I had always breathed to my right side only.

jimmyjack

Postby jimmyjack » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:59 am

This latest blog from Swim Smooth was very interesting as usual.

10 college swimmers had to maintain "their natural stroke rate" and swim at 1:40 per 100 m pace in an endless pool and various physiological measurements monitored.

It seemed that all the swimmers preferred to stroke at a 10% slower stroke rate than was best. One wonders why. Is it that when they are asked to stroke 10% quicker using a bleeper, they clean up their stroke and concentrate more on getting everything right?

Secondly, and unfortunately, there was no data on what each of the swimmers stated as their natural stroke rate. Any chance, Swim Smooth, of indicating what the figures were?
nice

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:31 am

kittttens wrote:I went 1.5 years on bilateral and comfortable with it. But my time score adapting to that stroke is terrible!!! cause when we practice bilateral, u are weakening your side breathing tooo. So, when comes to competition, even if you start breathing 1 side, u will not be accustom to it! Bilateral is bad!

What distance are you relating this too? sprint or longer??

In what way do you feel that bilateral breathing 'weakens your side breathing'? sorry, I don't understand this statement. Can you give more detail to clarify.

<edit> scratch that. I just saw your comment on another thread..</edit>
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

Return to “Swim Types!”