Arnie Type Swimmer (triathlete)

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.

Arnie Type Swimmer (triathlete)

Postby runeras » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi Swim Smooth!

I've just bought the Arnie Swim Guide, and it seems like really cool stuff!
I'm a bit in doubt if I should just follow it from the start and only work on the program/drills showed in each sessions, or I have some individual needs as a swimmer?

I've linked to a YouTube of me swimming a couple of months ago - I'm a 20 year old triathlete, and I've been swimming for around one year now, and i feel like I'm now making the progresses i would like to, and a bit in doubt of where to focus..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjT-gl6kan0

Feel free to comment, and help me

Kind Regards - Rune
runeras

Re: Arnie Type Swimmer (triathlete)

Postby Adam Young » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:38 am

Hi Rune,

A few quick questions: how tall are you and how long have you been swimming? Can you tell us about your swimming journey so far?

To be honest you're not a classic fit of the Arnie type there. As someone said on another thread, developing your feel and hold on the water at the front of the stroke is going to be important. The answers to the above questions will help me tailor that a bit more for you.

Cheers!

Adam
Adam Young

Postby runeras » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:41 am

Hi Adam!

I'm 183 centimeters.

My journey with swimming has been very much up and down. At first i felt I made som good progress, but later on I feelt more like i stood still in the development.
I have tried a lot of approaches, but I think my biggest problem may have that I have not been consistent enough, and believed in one approach and sticked to it.

I have now downloaded the Bambino guide as well. I'm a bit ind doubt if i just start with the session 1 and then repeat that one until i feel like I got the hang of if, or how is i supposed to go from here? :)

If you need any more information, just let me know

Thanks

Rune
runeras

Postby Adam Young » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:44 am

Hi Rune,

Yes you can go on to the other sessions - I think the latter stages of the Bambino guide where you work on the catch and the rhythm and timing of the stroke will be of most benefit to you.

I wondered if you had worked on your swimming a lot - it looks like it! (you can tell as a coach). I think when you started out you were probably a bambino type but what has happened is that you have lengthened out your stroke and become a bit of an overglider cross (don't buy this guide, you don't need it right now and the bambino guide will steer you in a better direction). You fixed many of the bambino problems (the timing and body roll - good work!) but two of the most important ones remain which are feel for the water at the front of the stroke and getting more rhythm into your stroke. Both of these will come when following the bambino guide - you have all the sessions there.

What I would say is don't be afraid to be positive with your stroke actions under the water. By being a little more positive you will develop a better sense of rhythm and more natural feel into the actions.

You can also do the Arnie sessions, there's no harm in that and they will give you some variety but if you send me an email to adam@swimsmooth.com I'll arrange a refund of the Arnie guide for you - you only deserve to pay for one.

Cheers,

Adam
Adam Young

Postby pgibbo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Sorry to jump in but I was wondering about the Arnie guide. I recently purchased this and plan on starting the sessions in it sooner rather than later. I have 2 questions:

1. How can I be sure I'm an Arnie type? I just guessed based on the descriptions but to be honest there's some crossover in the types.
2. Do you rotate the 4 sessions in the guide or work on one for a period of time before progressing to the next?

Thanks in advance.

P.
pgibbo

Postby Adam Young » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi P,

Yes, it is possible to crossover between types if you have been working on your swimming technique. Normally though we start out swimming with one very distinct type before developing it (for instance Arnie to Overglider is a very common path to take).

Do you have any video clips we can take a look at of your stroke? If you're really unsure then that's by far the best way to diagnose.

You can rotate through the sessions no problem - they are in a sequence of development but variety is a good thing for stroke technique so don't be afraid to mix them up.

Cheers,

Adam
Adam Young

Postby pgibbo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi Adam,
Here's 2 recent clips of me swimming. I also went ahead and got the DVDs. I believe they arrived with my PT paddles today. A picture paints a thousand words..... ;)

Deck view
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WAZm6-z-o4
Underwater view
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXyarq8YV7o

Thanks.
P.
pgibbo

Postby Adam Young » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi P,

Thanks for the clips. Yes, you're really a classic Arnie Overglider cross! I would say that you were probably a true Arnie when you started and have developed your stroke to make it longer?

For the moment the Arnie guide is still the right one for you, very much so. The big thing that's holding you back still is the low body position in the water and the Arnie guide has a major focus on getting your legs up which has to be your absolute priority. I can see you have no shortage of power or strength there, with a better body position you'll be moving much quicker off the back of that.

Hope that helps,

Adam
Adam Young

Postby pgibbo » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:56 am

Thanks for the feedback Adam.

One last question if I may. As mentioned, I recently got the DVD from the site. What sections on the DVD would you recommend I focus on coupled with the Arnie guide? Thanks in advance.

P.
pgibbo

Postby Adam Young » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi P,

I'd use the Arnie guide as your process to follow but cross reference it to the DVD. You can see the drills in the guide in action on the DVD and listen to Paul's introductions and explanations which might trigger different thoughts or visualisations for you.

The DVD's great for you to increase your knowledge and understanding of all aspects of swimming but the Guide is heavily focused on your individual needs. From watching your clips I think it's fair to say that you have classic Arnie origins and so you'll need the whole guide process - I can't cherry pick something for you that you particularly need to work on. Follow the process through all the steps (even the seemingly namby pamby bits!) and I'm sure you'll get some great results.

Cheers,

Adam
Adam Young

Postby pgibbo » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Cool. Thanks for that Adam. 8-)
pgibbo

Return to Talk Swimming!